Friday, May 04, 2007

Program Evaluation

I spent yesterday afternoon listing all of the things we "do" at our corps. Actually, I listed all of the programs. We have a few Advisory Board members helping us to evaluate things and thought it would be a good time to really get a handle on things seeing that I've been here almost a year now.

I feel like I've never been busier in my life. With the appointment and the kids I just go, go, go! After completing this task of program evaluation I had a better understanding as to why I feel so busy. We DO alot!!! I had 58 different programs to evaluate. That would sound crazy to most, but in all honesty there were 58! My husband and I each lead a few things, but we have leaders for most programs. That may sound great too, but we still have to be involved in those 58 programs in some way because we are the officers (in some cases that involvement only includes our mental powers every once in a while to make sure things are going in the right direction).

Please understand that I am not complaining. It was actually helpful for me to see this evaluation because I realized that we are doing okay. The programs are incredibly balanced as well between evangelistic programs and discipling programs. There always seems to be someone in the corps that wants more though... one more service... one more program. I have a tendency to allow people to guilt me into doing things. I think I will carry this program list with me so that when the guilt brigade comes after me I can pull it out and see that we are doing our best and our best is pretty efficient at this point in time.

If you would like to pray for me and my husband please feel free. We have a vibrant corps with wonderful people. Most of the people are new to the Army in the last year. Our corps was ALWAYS a very traditional corps. My husband and I are young, but more traditional than most officers our age. I think the older folks in the congregation were counting on that traditional side of us to come and change their corps back to what it was years ago. I have found in recent months though that tradition changes. When you have a corps of mostly new salvationists, new traditions arise. Our corps used to be a very large corps and due to a variety of circumstances it dwindled down to almost nothing over the last several years. It is on the rebound now. We are experiencing a time when we are trying to figure out what the Army is going to look like in Akron, OH. It will never be the Akron Citadel of 40 years ago, 10 years ago, or even 1 year ago. That is a hard pill to swallow for some. Maybe that has been a hard pill for me to swallow. Please pray that God helps us all to accept HIS direction for our community and corps. I LOVE this appointment and the people in our corps and our community. I always pray that I follow God's guidance in what we "do" so that He will be lifted up and glorified.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. This is going to be an awesome day... I can just feel it!!!

No comments: