Friday, May 11, 2007

I have been studying the book of Galatians over the last several weeks. It has been a challenge for me as I have reflected on my walk in relation to God's Word in this particular book.

I thought I would post on some of those things that jumped out at me as of late.

Galatians 5:16-21
Life by the Spirit

16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.


As I read this list, I thought to myself, “Wow these are bad things”. Take a closer look at these though. I think sometimes when we think of sin, we think of murder, adultery, stealing, lying and a host of others mentioned in the 10 commandments. When I first read this particular list I kind of scanned over them. However, look at these a little closer.

As I read this I realized that this is so often me. I obviously don't mean to sin, but I do. I do get selfish. I do go into fits of rage. I do sin. I don't believe I am the only one who falls into this trap though. I have seen Christians in fits of rage. I have had friends who were sexually immoral… Christian friends! I have seen believers vying to get ahead because of their selfish ambition. Look at all the televangelists that have gone down in the last few years. Commissioner Todd Bassett, who has served in the Salvation Army as the National Commander was just recently named to head the National Association of Evangelicals after the Reverend Ted Haggert had to answer to allegations that he had a 3 year relationship with a gay hooker. He was the head of the National Association of Evangelicals!!!!

What about dissention? Have you seen dissention in the church? Be honest! Envy? Jealousy? Even as Christians, sometimes we allow these sins to creep into our lives. It is so easy to fall back into the sinful nature which we once walked away from.

When we begin living by our own power we fail. It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that we are able to live as God created us to live.


God has really blasted me with this truth recently. It is a passage of scripture that I have read a zillion times, so many times that it simply became words to me. I thank God that He made me read and see these words once more in a new light.

The key for me was the last part of the passage where it says, "I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." Is that blunt or what?

1 comment:

jsi said...

You are so right Sue, sin is not just murder. There would be so few sinners if it was just murder that was a sin. There is sin present when I selfishly think of myself instead of others. When I am angry (and it doesn't have to be a full blown, foaming at the mouth rage to get in way of God's voice). When I encounter that feeling jealousy or discord or envy.
Paul's words cut to the heart when he compares these things, these descriptions to the fruit of the Spirit. The fruit of the Spirit honoestly address everything Paul lists here as the fruit of sinfulness.
God's word slices through pretention and lays plain and clear - we need Him and are lost without Him.
Praise God for your words and insights today from the Holy Scripture, God's WORD revealed and made plain.