Wednesday, May 24, 2006

God's Word to Me

I was given a verse by General Paul Rader upon my commissioning as a Salvation Army officer. It was taken from 2 Timothy 1:7, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

I actually found that verse several years before my commissioning. It was a verse that I memorized and leaned on heavily. I was (and still am) a bit shy and quiet. The whole concept of God not wanting me to be timid in my faith and service to Him stuck with me.

Commissioning can be quite intimidating. When the General ordained me and spoke that particular verse I knew it was God's reassurance that I would be okay if I just leaned on Him.

In recent days I received farewell orders from the appointment I have been in for the last 5 1/2 years. In all honesty, when I received my new appointment I was fine and didn't feel any pressure. I still don't feel the overwhelming need to "check things out" and see what I will be doing. I do know though, now that I have actually had a moment to catch my breath and reflect, that I will face aspects of Army work and ministry that I have never experienced. I realize that I will be stretched. I realize that I am going to be both changed and challenged by this next appointment. I realize that I will need that Word from God now more than ever..."For God did not give YOU, Sue B, a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."

I praise you Lord for searching me and knowing me. I praise you for knowing my actions and my thoughts. I praise you for knowing all of my ways. I praise you for knowing exactly what I need, when I need it, and where I need to be to both grow as your child and to be used by you to minister to others. Amen.

3 comments:

BrownEyedGirl said...

Wish you were closer!

Christopher Hinzman said...

You guys will be awesome corps officers!! You'll do great!! Being in a corps will give Jimmy Emile and Katie a good chance to get involved with things..do you know what I mean? I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

P.S. Tell Katie I said Happy Birthday!!

Jim said...

I'm so glad I married you!