Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tommy

I have a friend named Tommy who has taught me some very valuable lessons in recents weeks. Tommy is 3 1/2 years old. He is very rowdy and typically gets in a lot of trouble. Tommy has long blonde hair and huge blue eyes that truly sparkle.

The first few weeks I began working out of our Child Development Center, I got to know Tommy very well... basically because he spent a lot of time in my office in time-out!

I have made it a point to see each child in our CDC as unique individuals that were created to stand out in our crazy world in their own unique way. Tommy is no exception.

Tommy has hit me, kicked me, bit me, and screamed at me over the course of the last few months. I have continued to love him. He has also hugged me, giggled with me, and given me gifts. Tommy tells me he loves me every day. "I love you Cappin Sue" are the first words I hear from Tommy each morning. I have tried to teach Tommy how to behave and why he must behave. He is truly trying and getting better with his behavior. I sit with Tommy and let him be him. He is really great!

He often says to me, "I bein good Cappin Sue". That is a huge breakthrough. Tommy is doing his best to please me. He wants to be good because he knows it makes me happy. Today he is trying to please me and make me happy but someday Tommy is going to try to please Jesus and make Him happy.

I feel like God is bringing me back to the basics in recent weeks. He is stripping all control and order from my life. I cannot remember the last time that I actually was able to follow through on my daily plans. That had been aggravating to me, but not so much anymore. I am doing exactly what I was called to do... share the love of Jesus. Tommy represents mission for me. Jesus has started to change Tommy... there is a difference. Jesus is hope and I see the hope in Tommy's eyes and I can now see the hope of a godly future for Tommy. Wow!!!

1 comment:

jsi said...

Merry Christmas
What an experience you encounter with a young Tommy who needs such specific patience and love. It is not easy to patiently teach someone who bites and fights that these bahaviors are unacceptable. Continue to show your patience and love in the name of Jesus - you are making such a big difference in his life-you have been able to help him see himself as able to behave.