Friday, March 23, 2007

Shirley

I had to go to a funeral this week. Well, I didn't HAVE to go, I wanted to go. It was the funeral of a dear friend... a saint in my mind. Shirley was a soldier from our first corps appointment. She was a wonderful soldier and a true mentor.

Shirley was about 70 years old when we were in Mt. Vernon. She didn't seem that old (not that 70 is old of course). Shirley was THE lady you could count on handling things when we had to be away or when we simply didn't get something. She actually ran the Christmas toy shop/distribution effort for us. I distinctly remember Shirley telling me every year that at some point I was going to have to learn how to do her job. She tried to tell me each year that she was old and would be retiring soon. I would simply smile and let her know that I was never going to let her retire. She also assured me that we would not be in Mt. Vernon forever and that someday I would have to do the toy shop in another location. I would just tell her that she would have to move with us. It always seemed to work!

I did watch Shirley though and I did learn how to do Christmas from her. I would have to say she taught me quite well by her example :)

As I sat in her funeral service on Thursday I came to realize that I truly never believed that Shirley would retire. I never believed that she would ever die either. Shirley was a rock. She was a rock that I counted on more than I ever realized.

I was a kid in that first appointment. God knew that Shirley was EXACTLY what Jim and I needed. Without her who knows what would have happened.

I pray that the Lord helps me to daily realize the saints that he places in my path. I need them. I also pray that God uses me in the life of another. Will I be that rock, that example of Christ, to another? I can only hope.

1 comment:

jsi said...

A beautiful testimony about her impact in your life. We all do need the saints around us, not so we have less to do, but to be engaged and loving and working together. What a deep and tangible blessing she has been for you. What a beautiful reminder about a beautiful woman dedicated to God and to helping other people.